Well the voting has finished for the May craftsUprint card making competition and the winner has been announced, so I can now show you what my entry looked like.
This is it:
My card is made up of several parts.
The base card is a Centura Pearl Snow White A3 sheet scored and folded in half and then trimmed to make a square card.
The horseshoe topper (cup310236_596 – 3D Scalloped Layered Horseshoe….STUDIO) is cut out using my Silhouette Cameo out of a sheet of Centura Pearl card-stock and some sheets of pearlescent pale purple and white with silver holographic spots paper.
I used 1mm deep, double sided, foam tape to attach the second layer to the base layer of the horseshoe. Stuck the next layer directly on top of the second layer. The fourth layer was then attached using 3mm deep foam tape with the fifth layer again been stuck directly to the previous layer. I put a strip of clear acetate across the top gap of the horseshoe between first and second layer as a “hanging point” as the horseshoe itself isn’t stuck to the card front but free hanging.
I cut the leaf decoration out of pink vellum and the flower elements out of a textured pearlescent paper. These were shaped by hand and using a ball tool, and a sticky back gem put in the middle of each, before the leaves and flowers were attached to the bottom of the horseshoe. I took a plain, heavyweight, white cardstock and trimmed it to be 1cm smaller than the base card in all directions. I took a sheet of pale pink vellum which had embossed butterflies on it and cut this the same size. I also took a sheet of acetate with silver embossed butterflies on it and cut this the same height as the white panel but some 8cm wider. I scored this acetate at 2cm from each end. I attached the butterfly vellum to the front of the white card and attached the acetate, via the scored and folded flaps, to the back of the panel to give a “bubble” of acetate. I also put a strip of clear acetate over the top centre of the white panel. The whole thing was then attached to the front, centre, of my created card. I put two strips of super sticky tape on the end of the acetate strip that was hanging over the top, slid the horseshoe up from the bottom until the sticky acetate strip attached to the strip across the top of the horseshoe. I then put the greetings panel over the top to hide the workings.
I put some silver peel offs around the top and bottom of the acetate bubble and around the whole card front. Sticky back gems were also added at each corner.
I then took tiny pink shiny peel offs, to match the colour of the floral embellishment on the horseshoe, and put them at the centre of every other flower on the peel offs down the left and right side of the card, and used some “tear drop” shaped small peel offs to decorate the wings and antenna of some of the butterflies embossed on the acetate.
It’s a bit unfortunate that acetate, foiled butterflies, holographic dots, and shiny peel offs and gems are a nightmare to try and photograph and getting the light right for a good photo causes lots of white flare spots. On this card there’s the added issue of the shadows of the foiled butterflies on the acetate obscuring lots of the detail on the front of the card as well, but I hope you can make out the individual elements that have gone into making this a really special card for a couple on their wedding day.
(If you click on the thumbnail images you can have a look at a larger image of each item.)
(Clicking on the text links below each set of images takes you to the pages where you can see some of what I used to make the cards. Where these linked pages are on the CUP site you will usually find a longer description of how I made the item at the bottom of the page.)
- Closeup of flowers showing dimension and colour/finish. Also shows a bit of the depth of the horseshoe.
- Butterfly foiled on acetate with added foil peel-offs to match flower colours – the foiling is silver but the lighting and shadows when photograph taken make it look blacker than it is.
- View of strip of peel-offs down side of card with added tiny coloured central dots every other flower. This picture also shows that the butterflies embossed onto the pale pink vellum background actually have a bit of iridescence.
- Greeting panel added to cover sticky tape holding acetate “hanger” in place.
- Angled view from the top showing the dimension of the top of the horseshoe and acetate bubble.
The winning entry was crafted by Anna Stretton, and funnily enough it was also created using one of Tina Fitch’s 3D Scalloped Layered Horseshoe cutting files, but Anna went for the simple, white, look. The winning entries can be seen by clicking – here. All the entries are currently available to be viewed – here – but they will vanish once the next competition is underway to make room for the new entries. You will see that my entry came in 33rd out of 55.
You can see the cards Ive made using design sheets from CUP in my Crafter Showcase Area on Craftsuprint.com – here
(Just scroll down past the top boxes to see the cards.)
You can see my page on Facebook by clicking – here.
(Hi All – You should find a box below where you can leave a comment if you feel like it, but due to the fact that Ive had some problems with Spam/advertising posts, that are absolutely nothing to do with the content of my blog, I now moderate all comments before they go live. Genuine comments will go live when Ive checked through the list – usually a couple of times a day.)