A Project I’m Working On

 Posted by at 05:08 pm
Mar 032018
 

Hello Everybody!

It’s been a long time since I blogged.  Other things like family, ill health, life and death have got in the way of blogging.  I have managed to do a bit of crafting during the time I’ve been away from blog land, but haven’t then had the time or the energy to take photos and blog about my creations after I’d finished crafting.

Some of the items I’ve made I may still manage to photograph and show you at some point in the future, but for now I thought I’d start by blogging about a project I’m working on “just for me”.  I don’t even know what it will look like in the end as I’ve not even finished it yet – it may turn out to be a disaster.

This is what I started off with

It’s an “Anna Marie Designs MDF Plaque and Letter” that I bought from Create and Craft some time ago (they still have some letters left but no more Gs).

I had an idea how I’d like to decorate it with hand made flowers, and an idea of the sort of colours I wanted to use, but while I could find lots of posibilities in my stash and digital library, I could not find a whole assortment of things that would go together like I wanted.  So what to do?  Well turn to Janette Padley, the designer at Dragons Lair Designs, to see what she could come up with.

I wanted lots of different coloured backgrounds, but ones with some subtle graduation in how dark the colour was throught the page, and with slight difference in colours from one sheet to another within the collection – I’ll explain why as I make my creation.  These are what Janette came up with –

Essential Plains Paper Pack 1 Digital Papers – 12 x 12 Papers pink, purple, lilac, rose

Essential Plains Paper Pack 2 Digital Papers – 12 x 12 Papers blue, green, lime, pale blue

Essential Plains Paper Pack 3 Digital Papers – 12 x 12 Papers orange, tan, beige

Essential Plains Paper Pack 4 Digital Papers – 12 x 12 Papers pink, rose, fushia

The first thing I did after downloading was to print out an assortment of backgrounds onto 160gsm and 190gsm heavyweight white paper.  As I am going to make flowers I wanted colour on the back of the paper, ànd I wanted the colour in a slightly different shade to the front.

OK, I admit I messed up some of the printing – one sheet went back into the printed and printed a second time onto the same side, while for another couple of sheets I miscalculated and landed up with not the colours I wanted at all together!

I decided to simply paint the backgound plaque with white gesso.

As you can see, I wasn’t going for an even coat of white at all.  Just a rough look.  Well, to be honest, I never get a perfectly smooth look when I spend ages trying so I decided to just go for it and quickly slap it on.

I was thinking of painting the letter G in a different colour, but as I had the sheet of paper I’d double printed on one side I decided to use that to cover it instead. No point wasteing the sheet was there?

A quick covering of bookbinding glue over the front of the letter, and then press it down to the unprinted back of the paper.

Then it was simply a case of flipping it over and rubbing it hard to get a good adhesion and to make the edges of the letter visible through the paper.

I then took a craft knofe and started to cut out the covered letter.

By holding the craft knife flush with the letter I think I’ve made a reasonable jub of it.

So, there you have it.  Stage one complete.

Keep an eye out for the next instalment of this creation, and for some posts of my unblogged items.

 

If you are not already a member why don’t you join us at Dragons Lair Designs Fan Group over on Facebook.

  One Response to “A Project I’m Working On”

  1. SO good to see you back and creating Gwyneth.
    Faith
    x

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.